One misstep or error in the care delivery process now has notable repercussions for healthcare providers. One of three performance-based initiatives introduced under the Affordable Care Act, Value-Based Purchasing (VBP) creates a reimbursement model that incentivizes the highest performers and penalizes the lowest.
In 2013, hospitals were competing for $850 million, and estimated calculations suggest that 55% of facilities falling in the middle of the reimbursement curve would feel an impact of .25%. To get out in front of the heightened performance expectations, industry studies repeatedly emphasize the need for:
- Standardized care delivery
- Adoption of evidence-based practices
- Provision of clinical decision support (CDS) at the point of care
ProVation® Order Sets Helps Overcome VBP Challenges
ProVation Order Sets, powered by UpToDate® Decision Support is the industry leader in all three areas.
- Powering the evidence-based component of ProVation Order Sets, UpToDate has been singled out in industry reports and peer-reviewed studies for its ability to improve quality, lower mortality rates, and reduce lengths of stay
- Numerous order set templates come with narratives and links to quality measure definitions dictated by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), The Joint Commission, and other standards bodies, providing clinicians quick reminders for quality practices
- The ProVation Order Sets content management system allows authors to define orders to be pre-selected/checked in the CPOE system, helping to enforce standards and quality measures
- Evidence-based order sets were cited most often in a recent KLAS Research survey as the CDS technology that has greatest impact on standardizing care, and ProVation Order Sets was ranked highest by providers